5.04.2012

30-DAY COUNTDOWN

Yes! Yes! Yes!
My book's release it's only one ( 1, um, uno) month away. I can hardly believe it! I feel more nervous than when I gave birth to my child. Giving birth to a book is so much harder! For one, it took way more than nine months to bake this bun. Two, I didn't care what anyone thought of my son. I knew he was perfect and nothing in the world could change the immensity of my love for him. Well, now a book…

As a visual artist, I should be used of having my work scrutinized. But I'm not. I don't think any artist really becomes used to that; at least, not artists that are compelled to create out of sheer love for an idea. For these artists, their work is a product of love as much as a child.

I've always been a story teller and this book is a product of lots of love and twice hard work. It all started with a dream (as many other stories do), the following morning I sat down to write it, two days later I had 20000 words.

From there, I thought the story could become a novel, and that was the moment the twice-hard-work began. Let me tell you, writing a book is not a serendipitous process (for most writers, I can assure you.)  The amount of research that goes into every aspect of the process: style, setting, structure, pacing, etc, is ginormous.

Do you think I worried about P.O.V (point of view) before? Heck, I didn't even know what was P.O.V.

But I believed the story of this girl, who is so similar to all of us (male and female) in the way that she feels lost and drained of dreams and will; exhausted and trapped by demands of society; and stumbling through her own life, was a story worth telling. Because I believe we often feel lost and trapped and, deep in my bones,  I believe it's okay to feel that way, as long as we don't lose sight of who we are.

And if you don't know who you are yet, then take the journey (as my character did) to find out, maybe you'll even come across a few surprises along the way. Such as someone who can see through you, within you, and will love you for the person you are without asking a thing in return.

Writing "One Hit Wonder" was a journey I didn't anticipate, but I feel there is no turning back. It's like I've been taken in to become a pupil of this powerful master: language, and everything I'll do in my path of learning will be not to let my master down. I hope I'll be strong enough!

I'll leave you today, the first day of my countdown, with the book trailer I've created for "One Hit Wonder," and I thank you for being here. I feel so privileged to be able to share my work of love with you.






No comments:

Post a Comment