12.14.2011

Books on writing


This book is my early Christmas gift to myself I've read "How to Grow a Novel: The Most Common Mistakes Writers Make and How to Overcome Them" by Mr. Stein and just loved it.

So, I'm hoping this one is going to be an even better, more detailed discussion on writing a book.

It's funny how I've always wanted to write, but not until I've started I learned that writing a story is not just sitting in front of your computer and typing.

The first thirty thousand words poured out of me like summer rain, but after that I had no idea how to proceed. That's when I've decided to look for help, and when I say help I don't mean the grammar aberrations that's all over my draft, but the real meaty stuff that makes books so tasty—dialogue, tension, conflict, coherence (for goodness sake.)

You can find lists of books on writing everywhere, even books geared toward specific genre. In a google search I've found this one
, there are many more out there. I was actually surprised Stein on writing wasn't listed, not sure why. Perhaps, because it's older (my edition is from 1995) and the publishing industry has changed so much since then, but I don't believe good writing has.

No comments:

Post a Comment